January 28, 2014 8:50a | Guest Blog | by Courtney Kruse
Having a football party but don’t want to give up your resolution to eat healthier? Try these party food recipes and tips:
Fiesta Bean Pinwheels: Serves 8
8 oz. light/fat-free plain cream cheese
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican variety cheese
¼ cup light/nonfat sour cream
1 cup fat-free Hy-Vee refried beans
4 oz. can diced green chiles
4 Flatout Flatbread wraps (Healthy Grain Multi-grain with Flax) or 4 La Tortilla Factory Low Carb, High Fiber tortillas
Salsa for dipping
1. Mix cheeses, sour cream and chiles.
2. Spread ¼ cup refried beans on each tortilla, leaving ½” room at the far end.
3. Next, spread ¼ of the cheese mixture on each tortilla, leaving ½” in room at the far end.
4. Roll tortilla up toward the far end.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Slice each tortilla into 8 pinwheel slices. Hold together with toothpicks.
Dip pinwheels in salsa if desired!
Greek Hummus Dip:
12 oz (1 ½ cups) prepared hummus
½ cup cucumber, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup black olives
2 green onions, finely sliced
½ cup feta cheese
1. Spread hummus on a 10-inch platter
2. Top with feta cheese
3. Serve with whole grain crackers or bean chips
Tips for Eating the Buffet
When eating the buffet, remember to be purposeful (mindful easting) and only go through the buffet 1 time with 1 plate. The plate should have ½ veggies & fruits, ¼ meats, cheese, eggs or nuts and ¼ whole grain crackers, chips or bread. For more Healthy Eating tips contact Courtney at 913-894-1983 or email@example.com
Happy Super Bowl!
Courtney Kruse, Registered Dietician at Hy-Vee
8501 W. 95th St. | Overland Park, KS 66212